Monday, August 6, 2012

My Choice

I took the home study course from Institute of Children's Literature. 

My 1st assignment. We had to look at a pic. and then describe what we saw. The one I chose was a boy and girl standing by a bus in a crowded area.



My Choice


“Do you have your ticket, Steve?  The bus should be here

Soon,” I asked as a cool breeze whisked through my hair and

made me shiver.

“Just found it in my duffel bag plus something else.  My

mom stuck a note behind the ticket.”

  “A note?  How did she know we were leaving?”

  “It was pretty obvious when I did my own laundry last

night.  She sensed something was going on for a while. Here, look.”

I leaned over and read it along with Steve.


Dear Steve and Roxanne,

Life is never easy when there are choices to be

made that will affect your future.  I want you to be

sure you are doing the right thing at your age.  Both

of you are still young.  I want to share something

with both of you ~ especially you Steve.  You never

knew who your dad was, and to tell you the truth, I am

not sure I know who he was either.


I left home at age 16 with only one year left in

school.  My parents were hardly home and when they

were, they drank and fought.  I hated school because I

felt like a nobody and that made up my mind that I

could be happier and do better on my own.

A friend’s aunt let me stay at her house until I

 got settled.  I worked at a café (lied about my

age) and met a nice (I thought at the time) gentleman

who worked at the café as a cook.

I ended up moving in with him and after a few

months I got pregnant with you.  When he found out, he

left me and I never heard from him again.


What I am trying to say is that if you happen to

have a child on the way, take responsibility and

don’t walk away.  Life isn’t always greener on the

other side of the fence.  I have room in my house

if you want to stay here.


I love you, Steve, and please take care,

Mom.

PS If you look at the bottom of your duffel bag, you

will find an envelope with some cash in case of an

emergency.


“Wow.  Maybe your mom left you a note too.”

“I doubt it, and if she did, it'd say something like

‘It’s about time you left and stay out of trouble.’” I

shook my head.  “What do you want to do, Steve?”

Just then, a gust of wind whipped the letter out of Steve’s

hand and blew it down the street.

“I guess that’s the answer.” Steve said and zipped up his

duffel bag.
~~~~~~~

My grade was great but my instructor said that it needed an ending so you weren't left thinking what it was.  I figure you (the people that read it) can make up their own ending. 

So tell me how you would want this story to end: 


No comments:

Post a Comment